Master of Legal Studies (MLS)
In today’s world affairs and economy that is adapting to rapid developments in digital technologies, corporations, governments, and society as a whole are navigating an evolving global environment. The Master of Legal Studies (MLS) programs aim to (1) provide a broad overview of local and international laws and regulations that govern international businesses, (2) engage students in the ongoing discussions on issues related to the use and regulation of digital technologies, and (3) provide an overview of global issues and the role of the state and businesses in development policies and global issues.
Through the study of relevant laws, regulations, and policies in Cambodia and other prominent common and civil law jurisdictions, students will learn to analyse complex global and legal issues that arise in international business, the fast-growing developments of digital technologies, and how these developments have affected the application of laws and policies and different approaches to their solutions.
Graduates of the American University of Phnom Penh’s Master of Legal Studies (MLS) degree programs will be able to:
- Demonstrate fundamental substantive knowledge of various areas of law related to international business and the intersection of law and digital technology;
- Analyze and apply legal knowledge and critical analysis skills to practical situations in order to address legal issues involving international business and new and evolving technologies;
- Explain and evaluate some of the ways in which rapidly changing technologies affect business and society and how law develops in response to technological and business changes;
- Exhibit professional legal skills, including critical thinking, legal analysis, problem solving, and legal research and writing.
- Demonstrate ability to research, analyze, and discuss the roles and responsibilities of various stakeholders in the global 21st Century, new and innovative solutions to emerging challenges, and communicate public policy recommendations on global issues.
Key Features of MLS Program
If applicants have an undergraduate degree in other subjects than law, applicants will be enrolled in Master of Legal Studies.
This program is specifically tailored for professionals without legal background (professionals who have undergraduate degrees in subjects other than the law) who wish to advance their careers—by gaining expertise in global policies and international affairs, laws related to international business, and the role of digital technologies in business and gaining the skills to “think like a lawyer”–and build a professional network.
The MLS program is a great fit for:
- Professionals who don’t have a legal background, but need to thoroughly understand and navigate laws, regulations, the legal system, disputes, and interact with attorneys in their work.
- Professionals who need to understand the law, legal system, and the legal aspects of international business, without becoming a practicing lawyer.
- Students who don’t have a legal background, and wish to gain a deeper understanding of international business, the role of digital technologies in how global businesses operate, and the regulations surrounding these digital technologies.
It is a rigorous program with a student-centered approach that optimizes the delivery of quality learning. With a flexible module structure, this program is suitably designed for working professionals and full-time students.
- Graduate EPP: Required if applicant’s English language skills are below AUPP’s English language requirements.
- Bridging courses: Required in order to provide students with the knowledge and skills to succeed in the Core Program.
- Core LLM/MLS Program
Subject to Changes
Tuition fee is paid by semester and depending on the number of courses that students are enrolled in.