Associate Vice President, Academic and Student Affairs
Position : Associate Vice President, Academic and Student Affairs
Supervisor : Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs
Position Summary : The Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs serves as a community builder between faculty and administration. As the deputy chief academic officer will be responsible for assisting the VPASA in guiding the development and management of educational programs and instructional services with a balance of creative problem solving with long-term visioning will also serve as backup to the VPASA as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Evidence of a collegial approach to establish strong teams, achieve consensus, and establish strong relationships with both internal and external constituencies.
- Demonstrated commitment to building and embracing a multi-cultural, global campus community.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and deal with some ambiguity.
- Verbal and written communication skills including the ability to give and receive information accurately, present information to groups and in public settings and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in the global community.
Curriculum and Instruction
Establish and maintain standards and operational procedures for instructional and educational services, which are consistent with the mission, vision, and values of the university. Including credit and non-credit classes, and all modes of course delivery.
- Evaluate and assess key aspects of instruction through an impartial lens, implement the collective implementation of cohesive best practices, policies, and technologies to achieve the delivery of increased graduates with better career outcomes; equal availability and benefit to all.
- Work with personnel in Academic and Student Affairs on curricular engagement, inclusive curriculum development and integrating critical thinking ,soft skills, and logical application of learning outcomes into the curriculum. Support faculty and staff on integrating inclusion into their curriculum development, instructional strategies, research, and service.
- Assist VPASA with establishing and maintaining the university curriculum and instructional programs. Investigate and initiate viable new academic programs in support of VPASA to meet the needs of students and be responsive to local workforce needs. Incorporate a vision for multiple teaching modalities for face to face and online learning, innovation, and workforce programming.
- Assist faculty and the Learning Center to provide culturally responsive pedagogical approaches to serve student body by embedding systematic supports to faculty and student services.
- In conjunction with Instructional Deans and Department Chairs, evaluate and assess instructional program viability for revision, improvement, expansion, or contraction as deemed appropriate. Implement systematic processes and written documentation to provide data and support decision-making related to current or future program.
- Formulate collaborative strategies for instructional delivery, marketing, technology, educational support, and other initiatives through participation with instructional faculty and staff, instructional departments, division, other campus constituencies, and the President’s Leadership Team.
- Through the Instructional Deans monitor and strengthen affiliation agreements to ensure cooperation and mutual benefit and pursue new affiliation and partnership opportunities.
Planning, Budgeting, Reporting
- Represent AUPP Instructional interests globally to develop, communicate, implement, together with VPASA assess both annual short-term plans and long-term plans along with the creation of an updated academic master plan for the academic affairs. Support leadership for student success initiatives particularly student retention and completion.
- Provide support for institutional effectiveness in facilities planning for educational space and future academic program expansion based on directive of college leadership.
- Coordinate, and assist VPASA with budgets related to academic programs and support services, with input from the VPFA and other academic administrators.
- Represent and promote instruction to the entire university not limited to academic affairs and faculty interests in University planning, and budgeting processes and procedures.
- In conjunction with other academic administrators, monitor enrollment and make appropriate short-term and long-term adjustments to course availability, scheduling, facilities, and the overall offerings of degree options.
- Oversee the preparation of the overall schedule of classes, the university catalog with Registrar’s Office and instructionally related marketing materials. Collaborate on the preparation of the university academic calendar and oversee the facilities scheduling related to instructional space.
- Assure compliance of all instructional programs with the requirements of ACC, NECHE and Ministry of Education. Lead activities associated with instruction as part of the university’s official accreditation process.
- Plan and develop management information systems relative to instructional programs and faculty in cooperation with IT and the planning and research office. Coordinate preparation of annual reports on academic services to Board of Trustees, Ministry of Education, and accrediting body.
- Provide support of VPASA the evaluation systems for all faculty including goal setting, updates, administrative observations, and classroom evaluations.
Minimum Preferred Education Requirements:
Masters or higher degree from an accredited institution
Three or more years of experience teaching at post-secondary level.
Three or more years of Administrative leadership experience at the post-secondary level
Experience with institutional accreditation, personnel management, data driven decision making.
Understanding and appreciation of the value of cooperative decision making.
The American University of Phnom Penh is a private university with a non-profit mission, founded upon local initiative with the guidance and support of experienced U.S. educators. Our Founders aspire to provide high-quality education to students in Cambodia and from across the region right here in the historical and cultural heart of Southeast Asia.
Since 2013, AUPP has grown rapidly, from providing only three undergraduate programs to providing seven undergraduate programs in fields ranging from Law and Business to Civil Engineering and IT Management, and an MBA program. We are proud to be the only university in Cambodia to provide accredited U.S. degrees via the dual-degree programs with partner U.S. institutions, including the University of Arizona and Fort Hays State University.
Working at AUPP
AUPP offers a unique working environment and welcome scholars from Cambodia and overseas alike. We have attracted experienced faculty and staff members from the U.S., Canada, the U.K., and various European countries and countries in the region. Our students are among the top in their generations; their growth is our motivation.
In 2017, we moved into our new state-of-the-art campus located in the northern Phnom Penh, the robust capital of Cambodia. The city, as well as Cambodia in general, is not only known for its rich history and culture, but also for its friendly people.
Whether you are a young scholar seeking to build your academic career, a veteran educator looking for ways to contribute, or anything in between, AUPP provides a comfortable and supportive environment where you can succeed while contributing to the human resources development of Cambodia and the region.
More about AUPP at https://www.aupp.edu.kh
To apply, please submit the following documents to the Human Resources Office via [email protected]:
- Cover letter identifying how you meet the requirements for position you are applying for along with your salary requirement
- CV, including a clear highlight of current occupation and a list of three references.
- Copy of your national ID card or current passport information page.
- Copy of the highest and/or most relevant degree(s) and the corresponding transcripts. (Unofficial transcripts suffice for this stage.)
Please use the designation: “[Associate Vice President] – Full Name” in the subject line.
Office of Human Resources
American University of Phnom Penh